Give back with a once-in-a-lifetime trip to Zambia and Botswana! This trip – from August 26 to September 4, 2017 – combines impactful volunteering with sustainable tourism to support small business in Zambia and Botswana. Build homes alongside community members, see one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World and go on an African Safari!! Interested? Read on…
August 26 – September 4, 2017
Unearth the World is excited to officially announce our second partnership with Wanderful – an innovative online community of independent, adventurous, women who travel!! Join other globally minded women for 10 days in Zambia and Botswana participating in service work and seeing the sites of south central Africa. The beginning of the trip will focus on community engagement and service, with 5 days spent volunteering with Unearth the World’s Zambia partner in the small fishing village of Mwandi.
In Mwandi, group members will work alongside local community members to build safer and more sustainable housing for and with local families. After the service project, the group will travel to Kasane, Botswana for two days of animal wildlife viewing, returning to Zambia to check out Victoria Falls before heading home. Check out the day-by-day itinerary below! And email us if you are interested – SPOTS ARE STILL AVAILABLE!!
Before the African adventure begins, you will receive in-depth pre-trip training. This training covers topics including Global Citizenship, Community History, Power and Privilege, Worldview, as well as what to expect while you are volunteering. The training is delivered directly to your inbox in the weeks leading up to travel and culminates with a pre-trip call to answer any questions, and introduce the group members to each other!
Day 1: Arrival in Livingstone
- Travelers will be picked up at the Livingstone airport and taken to the group hotel in Livingstone. There will be an opportunity to settle into accommodations and rest, with a group dinner in the evening.
Day 2: Travel day to Mwandi
- Breakfast will be at the hotel in Livingstone before the group travels via private van to the service project in Mwandi, a small fishing village 2 hours outside of Livingstone. Upon arrival in Mwandi the group will receive a site orientation, and an opportunity to settle into ‘camp’. Lunch will be at camp followed by a tour of the village. Dinner is back at camp with time for reflection.
Day 3 – 6: Service days & Home building!
- Typical service day starts with breakfast at camp. After breakfast volunteers head to their site for a few hours of homebuilding in the morning. Lunch is back at camp, followed by a couple extra hours volunteering at the homebuilding site in the afternoon. Late afternoon is free time to rest, shower, or explore Mwandi before dinner. Dinner is at camp. Post-dinner activities will include discussions on education and healthcare in Mwandi, games, reflection, and visit from local artisans.
Day 7: Travel to Botswana & Afternoon River Safari
- Early breakfast at camp before departing in a private van for Kasane, Botswana. Lunch will be at the hotel in Botswana. Kasane sits on the Chobe River, right across from Chobe National Park. The afternoon boat cruise safari into the Chobe National Park offers magnificent views of all the regional flora and fauna including birds, hippos, and abundant elephant herds. Dinner will be in Kasane, followed by downtime to relax.
Day 8: Animal Viewing Game Drive!
- Breakfast at the hotel, and then a Day Safari to Chobe National Park! Group will spend a full day in the park, exploring both on land and by water. Wildlife includes lions, antelope, giraffes, water buffalo and elephants…to name a few! Lunch is included and eaten in the park. Dinner in Kasane.
Day 9: Victoria Falls & Livingstone
- Breakfast at the hotel, and an early departure to Victoria Falls – one of the Seven Wonders of the World! Group will spend a couple hours exploring at the Falls before returning to Livingstone. Choice of afternoon activity in Livingstone – anything from bungee jumping to a museum visit. Dinner in Livingstone.
Day 10: Departure: Time to head home—depart from Livingstone!
*Important Notes: Airfare is not included in the trip cost. When you you sign up for this adventure, you will receive a FREE membership to Wanderful ($169 value)!! Just ask us for the code.
If this Zambian adventure sounds like it is up your alley, reach out via email to learn more!