Amendments, cancellations or part-cancellations must be notified in writing. Upon receiving this request, Unearth the World (UTW) will verify and send the volunteer an acknowledgement email. If volunteer does not receive an email, they must assume that UTW has not received the notice and should contact UTW again.
Changes in Travel:
If personal, academic or other circumstances turn out to make travel impossible at the time planned, placements can be deferred. Once registered and before beginning the placement, the volunteer may change the start date and program duration once, subject to availability, at no additional cost. Each additional change to the start date or program duration will incur an administration fee of US$50.
Cancellation charges depend on how far in advance of stated departure date Unearth the World has been informed in writing. Stated departure date refers to the earliest of either: the “preferred departure date” entered in the volunteer’s original application form or any subsequently agreed upon date. If only a month and a year are specified on the application form, the “preferred departure date” is the 1st of the month specified:
- Notice of greater than 90 days before the program start date: Full refund given
- Notice of 61-90 days before the program start date: Program fee will be refunded, excluding the deposit.
- Notice of 31-60 days before the program start date: 50% of total program fee, excluding the deposit
- Notice of 15-30 days before the program start date: 25% of total program fee, excluding the deposit
- Notice of less than 14 days before the program start date: No refund
Please note that the above cancellation charges apply whether an application is made more than 90 days before the stated departure date or less than 90 days before the stated departure date. Deposits paid less than 90 days before the stated departure date, defined as above, are non-refundable.